https://www.taxwaresystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/tw_logo_website.png 0 0 Nathan https://www.taxwaresystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/tw_logo_website.png Nathan2019-05-21 21:50:442019-10-14 18:24:37Closing your Tax Office for the Year?
Closing your Tax Office for the Year?
If you are planning to close your tax office for the year, here are some reminders:
- Update your IRS e-file Application to allow the IRS to communicate with you and prevent your Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) from being inactivated. Verify and if needed, update your firm’s Principals, Responsible Officials, addresses and telephone numbers.
- Keep all Forms 8879 and acknowledgment reports for three years.
- Keep copies of all clients’ tax returns until the end of the calendar year as the electronic return originator (ERO).
- Check your EFIN status page to verify the number of returns you filed matches the number of returns received by the IRS. While your office is closed, it is a good practice to periodically verify your EFIN is not being used by anyone else.
If you are planning to permanently close your tax office, here are some reminders:
- The easiest way to notify the IRS of the closing is to use the “Close Office” feature on your IRS e-file Application.
- Providers may not sell or transfer EFINs, other identification numbers, or passwords when selling, transferring or otherwise discontinuing an IRS e-file business.
If you need assistance, please contact the e-help desk toll-free at (866) 255-0654.
For more information, refer to Publication 3112.
*This message was distributed by IRS Newswire, an IRS e-mail service. For more information on federal taxes please visit IRS.gov.