A Guide to Amended Tax Returns

Whether a taxpayer has minor or major changes to a tax return that has already been filed, fixing the return can be complicated. Taxware Systems is here to help. Here is a quick guide to help you create an amended return using our software.

First, here are a few things you need to know:

When to Amend: You should amend a tax return when you need to correct a filing status, add or remove dependents or change total income. Another reason to amend would be to claim deductions or tax credits that you missed on the original tax return.

When NOT to Amend: Sometimes you do not need to amend the tax return. The IRS will correct some mistakes, such as math errors, for you. If you forgot a required form or schedule, the IRS will send you a notice about the missing forms.

Form 1040X: Use a Form 1040X to amend a tax return that has already been filed. The 1040X has three columns. Column one should have the amounts from the original return, column two should have the increases or decreases (changes) that you are making to the return, and column three should have the corrected amounts. Make sure to explain the reasons for the changes on the back of the form.

To learn more about amended returns, please visit


When you are ready to amend a return with the Taxware Systems software, pick the return from the Recall Current list and go to the Summary Menu. On the right hand side of the page, click on the [23] 1040X Amended button and instructions will appear.

Before you amend the return, make sure that the current data matches the return at the time it was originally filed. Once that has been verified, click on Save Current as Original. Then, make the necessary changes to the return. After the return has been adjusted, return to the amended instructions and click on Calculate/Adjust/Explain to write notes about the changes made on the return. Finally, print the 1040X. Note: An amended return cannot be electronically filed. You must file the return on paper.

Questions? Email or call us at