Renewing an ITIN: A Guide

Do your clients have ITINs, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers? The IRS issues an ITIN to those who need to file a tax return or report to the IRS, but who are not eligible for a social security number, and some of those ITINs expire at the end of 2016. If your client needs to renew an ITIN, complete an application this fall to avoid delays.

The following list includes what forms they will need to renew the ITIN:

Form W-7: The Form W-7 is the application for the IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The client must have identification documents with the form, but they do not need a completed tax return.

Proof of Foreign Status and Identity: Many forms fulfill this requirement, including:

  • Passport (This can be a stand-alone document for dependents with a U.S. date of entry. Otherwise, other identification from this list is required.)
  • National ID Card
  • Visa
  • U.S. Driver’s License or Foreign Driver’s License
  • Birth Certificate (Required for dependents under 18)

Other documents are eligible to show proof of foreign status as well. For a full list, please visit

Note: Only original documents or certified copies are accepted.

Dependent Requirements: If a client needs to renew an ITIN, they can renew their family at the same time. For dependents from countries other than Mexico or Canada or U.S. military members overseas, a passport with a U.S. entry date will work for identification. Along with the passport, dependent applications require:

  • U.S. medical records for dependents under age 6 or U.S. school records for dependents under age 18.
  • U.S. school records for dependents age 18 or over or a rental statement, utility bill or bank statement with the applicant’s name and U.S. address.

To claim certain credits and ensure a timely refund, make sure they renew their ITIN before filing taxes. For more information, please visit